Robot Not a Dev? Buy Now
Not a Dev?

Misty Community Forum

What wouldn't you want a robot to do (yet)?

What would you and wouldn’t you trust a robot to do for you at this point?

1 Like

I’ll go first. I don’t think I would want a robot cooking for me yet.

1 Like

Anything where the robot physically engages a human is too risky i.e. feeding a child/person.

If we look at the issues with automated cars even, which has a massive amount of focus, R&D, and funding, it’s still a bit of a risk.

2 Likes

For me it’s angthing that requires a deft touch with valuable or messy stuff (eggs come to mind). Yes, soft robotic grippers might be ok, but not really interested in picking up the mess. Also, the activities that require substantial amounts of emotional intelligence and powers of psychological perception - I think they’d be pretty horrible at that.

1 Like

I am surprised there have been so few issues with autonomous cars. In reviewing the recent fatality most will agree that autonomous or not, that person really came out of nowhere and would have been hard to avoid. Per hour operated I bet autonomous cars are FAR below the accident rate of human drivers, even now. All; this goes to say that I would trust a self-driving car today if the option were widespread.

I sat next to Professor Missy Carpenter from Duke last night who is educating a few dozen Congressional legislative aids (the people who really do the policy let work) about the crash in AZ. She said the “came out of nowhere” is inaccurate - a human would have stopped. She said it was a clear failure in the lidar tech. She also pointed out that there has been relatively no testing on foundational issues of key safety systems; redundancy for safety sake and other “normal” testing that most vehicles (cars, planes, etc…) undertake. And, therefore, “why test in public?”. I’m guessing @michael would have something to say about this given all his time spent at the private test track at Ford.

2 Likes

The most recent autonomous vehicle fatality is not the one in Arizona. A man died in Mountain View this past weekend when his Tesla – in autonomous mode – crashed and burned like crazy (due to the batteries):

agree :wink:

1 Like

Give me a reliable and cheap 6dof arm with soft gripper on a small to medium robot and you would have one in every home. Being able to have a robot that can pick up my kids’ mess (legos, clothes, toys, block) so that vacuuming could done by it or another then that I think would give the 10x increase that people would need in appeal to buy it. It works in my head at least. that being said I’m not sure I’d trust a robot to even do that yet.

3 Likes

My thoughts have already proven faulty:

I would not want a robot flight attendant. As someone who is slightly disturbed by the concept of air travel and how impersonal it is in the first place, I think that its nice to see an actual person who has lived through countless flights. For that matter, I think hospitality generally requires a human touch.

2 Likes

But have you seen “Altered Carbon”? Robo-Poe?

But yeah, Hospitality/Customer Service (F2F) should still be run by humans for a while. It just requires us to be more human and focus on that aspect. The less that happens, the sooner I’d rather talk to a robot. That whole “empathy” and “sympathy” thing are a way off.

2 Likes

I was afraid you were going to walk back from Robo-Pee, @Karl. I’m glad you haven’t changed :wink:

Mowing the lawn.

Alright, maybe this one could work. At the moment, though, blades strapped to an autonomous robot doesn’t sound like a very good idea. It’d need a pretty obvious shut-off button.
Picture this- it’s the weekend, you’re taking a walk, and a big machine that looks vaguely like a killer roomba comes barrelling towards you. Something goes wrong and it doesn’t know that you’re not the grass it’s supposed to be mowing!

Plus, how are you supposed to make allowance if a robot’s mowing the lawn for your family? No thanks.
I’d be okay with a garbage-can-emptying robot, though, because I’m pretty sure not a single person on the planet gets satisfaction from doing that.

1 Like

BAH! Poe was very human, for an AI :wink:

Lawn mowing robots are already a commodity. I simply ask my kids not to wear their ghillie suits in the yard. As for the trash empyting robot, my wife has ACTUALLY asked me to build that!

I think robot dentist is pure nightmare fuel.

1 Like

accurate depiction of why robot friends aren’t a good idea either…yet
https://vimeo.com/21216091

3 Likes

Ack!

Petting my cat now. Good, simple kitty.

Maybe I would want them performing surgery

1 Like