Robot Not a Dev? Pre-order Now
Not a Dev?

Misty Community Forum

Unable to connect to enterprise WiFi

Have been trying to connect to a university Wifi connection but our university has multiple authentication layers before a device can be added.
Is there a way to find the MAC address of the hardware so I can register it on my institution’s network ?

Thanks for posting your question here @madhur.behl. I’ve bumped it over into Developer Support so the right people can see it and it creates a ticket in our system :slight_smile:

i did a really hacky workaround using HoRNDIS: USB tethering driver for Mac OS X | Joshua Wise's domain.

i connect my android to my macbook, use that to create a shared wifi connection from my macbook, and then have misty log on to that. it will at least let you do some testing in the meantime.

1 Like

@madhur.behl We are currently looking at providing a way to work with multiple authentication.

However for now if you want the MAC address you can get that through [adb](https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/adb).

Here are the steps:

• adb shell
  • ifconfig -a
  • One of the listings will be something like this:
wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:d0:ca:00:5e:38 Driver cnss_wlan_pci
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3000
RX bytes:0 TX bytes:0```
  • The HWaddr 00:d0:ca:00:5e:38 is the MAC address

Also as @adam.cushner alluded to you can also maybe connect to your android device or your own router and get the MAC address there too.

1 Like

I do not have access to an android device at the moment. I did however, connect it to my iphone hotspot, and monitored the network traffic on the hotspot p2p connection to retrive the mac address associated with the IP assigned on the hotspot.
However, that MAC address did not work on the campus Wifi network.

Thanks Madhur, another non-supported way is to use https://www.vysor.io/ to connect to the Android device on the robot and then try connecting to your school network there. The android device should have a browser that you can use to login.

It’s not “officially” supported. But I’ll help you as much as I can.

You don’t actually need an Android device.

1. Use the Misty Companion app on your iPhone or Android device to connect to a network other than the school/enterprise one. This could be a home router or internet share from your laptop or phone.

2. Download abd on your computer (works on mac and pc) from the link Woo provided

3. Connect to Misty with adb by Mac: Open a terminal window and type/run “adb connect <ip_of_misty>” (you get the IP from the Misty Companion app

4. Then type/run “adb shell” and then “ifconfig -a” to display the MAC address like Woo said.

2 Likes