Robot Not a Dev? Buy Now
Not a Dev?

Misty Community Forum

Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2018

Do these results jive with the folks here on the community? Which IDE’s or text editors do we all use here?

I use Sublime Text as my IDE and generally find MDN to be the most resourceful for my developer needs. That being said, Stack Overflow is my last resort if I can’t find the answer after searching on MDN I’ll pose the question on Stack and usually get an answer within a few hours.

It doesn’t surprise me that VS Code is so popular. It’s a pretty great piece of software.

I like Spacemacs and Visual Studio Code myself.

EDIT: Forgot Notepad++! Useful for some things! But definitely not for everything.

It heavily depends on the developers experience level and type of programming.
For me 80-90% of HPC, scientific codes, scientific visualization I see are done in vi or emacs.
For everything I prefer ‘vi/vim’ Jupyter is common with DL/ML - Andrew Ng has his courses
using Jupyter and we have that for users on larger machines. Effectively it is just python in
a web browser. (by far I find vim to be the fastest, no gui’s, menu’s. The limits are based on programmers knowledge of libraries, syntax and typing speed).

Stack and generally the number of HPC programmers is far fewer than
the number of Android/IOS or Desktop or web programmers. Also we see some
pretty poor quality coding from all fields and IDEs/editors.

Normally I do not include ‘web’ as programming unless it is the cgi-plugins in
C, python, etc.
MS Windows
- Desktop computer - Windows programmers - lots of people - MS Visual
Unix/Linux world:
- Desktop computer - Macs - Xcode
- SystemAdmin/DevOps - is normally a separate of group of programmers
* System admins - mostly scripting (bash, python, perl)
* DevOps - C, C++, python (was perl), ruby, java
- Desktop Linux - vim/emacs - almost any programming or scripting language
- Servers to Supercomputers - vim/emacs - mostly C, C++, Fortran, python, java
- Visualization - large scale - vim/emacs - mostly C, C++, python, java
- scientific programming - vim/emacs - mostly C, C++, Fortran, python, java

I have used Atom, Brackets, Vim, Visual Studio Community Edition, Sublime, Notepad++, and VS Code. I must say that VS Code is by far my favorite “editor” that you can turn into a full-fledged IDE with enough extensions. It has a very shallow learning curve compared to IMO Vim, Notepad++ and Sublime. Adding/managing extensions to those editors is a pain. Visual Studio Community Edition is nice for C# code but I find it to be rather slow and it caches a lot of files that make it easy for it to get into a state that provides false negatives for compilation. Atom was a step in the right direction at the time of its creation and has a ton of extensions but after a certain amount of extensions it also gets to be pretty slow. VS Code is the only editor so far that I can throw C#, Dart, JavaScript, Java, Protobuf, Typescript, Docker files, HTML, stylesheets, etc. at and have it not slow down. The only thing that compared for me was Vim and I think I spent 2 weeks trying to setup the “perfect” environment to little avail.

All that being said, people that write code even semi-professionally will use whatever tools make them most efficient. For me, it’s VS Code because it supports most of the things that I work with and it’s pretty easy to add/create extensions for. Though because we have such a wide array of programmer types in our community, maybe its best to start with something that anyone can run from the CLI and let people create the extensions they need? What do you all think?

2 Likes

I’m going to give VS Code a more thorough evaluation. My journey has taken me from Textmate (truly seemed revolutionary at the time) to Sublime to Atom. I did like the Atom/Github integration but suspect that is not unique any longer. I also wonder if Atom will be deprioritized further with Microsoft buying Github. Doesn’t seem like they need to maintain two editors.

1 Like

I do most of my work in Jupyter, but when I am working with a text editor it’s almost always Sublime. Windows is my preferred operating system. I liked the question about who was ultimately responsible for the actions of an AI. I think right now the moral and ethical implications of these programs fall squarely on the developers shoulders with government regulators coming in a distant second. Eventually though, the responsibility will increasingly rest with the AI itself. We’re a long way off from this, but eventually these intelligences will have their own codes of conduct, their own governin bodies, and even rights.

I’m a little shocked at the disparity in concern between data scientists and mobile developers.

1 Like

Love that you got right into the moral and ethical responsibilities for building Ai. Let’s make that a topic of discussion here!

I concur with @justin and have very similar experience basically with all IDE/text editors that have been, right now i’m on VS Code and liking it, so sticking with it for now.