Robot Not a Dev? Pre-order Now
Not a Dev?

Misty Community Forum

Sound playback - only working with some files

I am having a few problems getting Misty II to replay certain audio files. My primary goal is to record voice responses and have Misty ‘speak’ them when directed to do so by a script. I have found that she can play some .mp4 files, and not others - and can find no rationale as to why some work and some do not. The files are not large, and they are all .mp4s. I even used Misty to record the file, and the downloaded the recorded file and re-uploaded it for her to play back - but I just get silence.

Thanks for posting here! Regarding this:

I even used Misty to record the file, and the downloaded the recorded file and re-uploaded it for her to play back - but I just get silence.

I’ve seen this, too, and I think it’s related to this bug in the current release. We’re hoping to have a fix for that issue in the coming weeks.

Looking at other methods of recording audio:

I have found that she can play some .mp4 files, and not others - and can find no rationale as to why some work and some do not.

Without knowing your setup, my hunch is Misty doesn’t support the encoding and/or format being used to create your recordings. The docs on the SaveAudio command aren’t particularly helpful here, but Misty’s Command Center lists .wav, .mp3, .wma, and .aac. as supported filetypes. When you create a recording using one of those formats, as long as Misty supports the codec used to create those files, she should be able to play them back. (We’ll be working to publish details about supported codec and file formats soon, so thanks for helping us find that information gap.)

For now you might try using audio recording software that lets you do a bit more customization of the encoding used when you export the recording. Audacity is a pretty solid free option for this that runs on most computers. This morning I tested it by recording some sample audio and exporting as both an .mp3 and a .wav using Audacity’s default export settings. Misty was able to play that sample in both formats, so that may unblock you here :slight_smile:

Let us know if you have questions about any of the above!

1 Like