Robot Not a Dev? Pre-order Now
Not a Dev?

Misty robot via Jupyter Notebook

I am working on a service that makes Misty I Developers’ Edition and other robots available for remote testing. Here is an example that changes the face and tilts the head of a Misty robot from Jupyter.

If you have a Google account, then you can run the example directly on Colab.

This example uses the rerobots Python client and the Misty REST API.

@slivingston – This is really awesome. How many robots other than Misty I do you have available for remote testing? If you’re willing to share, I’d be interested to read how you came up with the idea for rerobots :slight_smile:

At the time of writing, the other robots available are:

There are others that were available but currently are not because I am low on cash; e.g., a drive-by-wire car with Velodyne LiDAR. Workspaces with quadrotors and multi-link arms will be available soon!

If you are referring to the basic notion of remote access to robots via the Web, the idea is almost as old as the Web itself, as documented in the book Beyond Webcams | The MIT Press I can give more references to related work from 1994 to today if you are interested. (I plan to write a paper that gives all of these references in one place.)

If you are referring to the particular story of rerobots, you will first have to buy me a beer.

It’s so cool to be able to write software for these robots without, well, having to own (or be employed by someone who owns) them. Very exciting to hear more workspaces are coming.

I’m always interested in adding to my reading list, so thanks for that link. In this case I was referring to the particular story of rerobots. Guess I need to find out what kind of beer you like :slight_smile: