Robot Not a Dev? Pre-order Now
Not a Dev?

Misty Community Forum

Misty II head isn’t moving on power up

Upon turning Misty 2 on, connecting to WiFi, watching the system update, nothing seems to get the head to engage…

Thank you for reporting this. I’m sorry the head isn’t moving. Could you help me try a few different things?

Could you connect to the Robot using our command center: http://sdk.mistyrobotics.com/ and try to move the head there?

Also - could you subscribe to the Actuator data for the head and let us know if there is any data streaming back?

https://docs.mistyrobotics.com/tools-&-apps/web-based-tools/command-center/#streaming-actuator-data

Thank you so much for your patience and reporting these issues!

Hi Woo,

With the command center I can manually move the head.

The console says the following upon subscribing to Actuator Position.

ActuatorPosition Actuator_ahy {"eventName":"ActuatorPosition - ahy","message":0}
commandcenter.js:2900 ActuatorPosition Actuator_ahp {"eventName":"ActuatorPosition - ahp","message":-16.04281826366305}
commandcenter.js:2900 ActuatorPosition Actuator_ahr {"eventName":"ActuatorPosition - ahr","message":1.7188733853924696}
commandcenter.js:2900 ActuatorPosition Actuator_ahy {"eventName":"ActuatorPosition - ahy","message":0}
commandcenter.js:2900 ActuatorPosition Actuator_ahp {"eventName":"ActuatorPosition - ahp","message":-16.04281826366305}
commandcenter.js:2900 ActuatorPosition Actuator_ahr {"eventName":"ActuatorPosition - ahr","message":1.7188733853924696}

Am I correct to assume upon powering up the head should move/ reset to a default position?

Thanks, @christopherwking for checking. This is the expected behavior.

On startup, the head does not engage until a move head command is sent. Until then it moves freely.

Quick question on feedback - Would you expect it to engage on startup? and is this something we should fix?

Hi @christopherwking! Thanks for posting to the forums!

I wanted to shed a bit more light on this for you and any other user that comes across this thread: On startup, the default behavior for misty is to not engage any motor, and they will freely turn if you push Misty’s tracks, move her neck, or rotate her arms. This also occurs if you hit the /api/halt endpoint (HALT ALL MOTORS in Command Center)

If you want Misty to trigger some behavior on startup, you need to designate a skill to initiate on startup.

Hope this helps!

Let’s just say after opening and booting up Misty to have her head sadly stay tilted down to the left was 1) concerning :scream: and 2) childishly disappointing… It didn’t greet me or at least look at me :grin: then say “Greetings Founder!”

Thanks! @Chris :slight_smile:

This will be my first skill :). - If this is in the docs, I may have missed it. Maybe a blurb in the getting started guide. I may be the only user expecting this though.

Chris

1 Like

@christopherwking You’re not! Please keep us posted on your expectations and what you’re trying to build!

To set a skill to initiate on startup, you can use the ‘StartupRules’ field in a skills meta file: File Structure & Code Architecture

Here is the relevant passage :sunny:

Add "Startup" to the StartupRules array to have Misty start the skill as soon as she boots up.

Hope that helps!

Hi,

I think there is something wrong with my Misty II…

Jerky movements on turning and Head tilts on drive.

Head Falls on moving, then backs up on drive and heads tilts down…

Regards,

Chris

Hi @christopherwking!

Thanks for sending those videos! They are really helpful for us to pinpoint exactly what we’re discussing.

For the first one: Unfortunately, the jittery movement is a known issue on hardwood floors. This is the nature of rubber treaded track driving on ‘grippy’ surfaces. We are working on some updates to our control system to make this less noticeable soon, and there are options to programmatically make the driving dynamics smoother. However, when you’re just using the command center to send turn/drive commands, it’s still a bit rough.

As for Misty’s head falling, the default behavior is that Misty’s head will not maintain a position UNLESS you send a neck movement command. So on startup or after you hit the HALT ALL MOTORS endpoint, Misty’s neck moves freely. If this isn’t what you want, just try sending any neck command!

If Misty’s neck does move/drift after sending a neck command, please let us know!

Hope this helps!