Robot Not a Dev? Pre-order Now
Not a Dev?

Initial impression of Misty II based in part on developer's impressions of Misty I

I want to raise the topic of what we can do to help a developer have a positive initial impression of Misty. Ideally whatever is decided should also make it more likely that these developers would maintain their positive impression of Misty.

I think this is important because this is one of Misty II’s twelve “revolutionary capabilities, specifically Autonomy & Personality. This is described on the Misty II site as: “Misty runs skills autonomously without intervention. Writing skills and loading them onto Misty imbues each robot with a unique personality."

Since some of you have already received Misty I, could you talk about how unboxing Misty I and/or setting it up influenced your initial impression of Misty? It would also be helpful if some of you addressed how Misty I’s behavior has influenced your impression of this robot over the time that you have had her.

I’m hoping we could use these responses to discuss how Misty II might be packaged and introduced.

Great topic, @BoulderAl! You’ve hit on a core question and any/all feedback is deeply appreciated.

I do need to note, though, that Misty I’s behavior in terms of autonomy and personality is just not there yet. Pretty much all system-generated autonomy/personality behaviors will be unavailable until the release of Misty II.

I thought this might be the case, @Donna. I want to wait a day or two to see if I get any responses to my questions. I then plan to share my thoughts and start a discussion on how to make it more likely that Misty II is perceived positively…

My initial impression of the Misty I packaging and hardware was very positive. I was disappointed, however, that the Skill samples didn’t run out-of-the-box. Since that time I have come to understand that the Skill samples are not currently in sync with the existing hardware. The Misty Robotics developers are apparently operating in a difficult situation of trying to support those of us with Misty I hardware while simultaneously moving ahead with Misty II. Some of this is going to affect our Misty I experience, unfortunately.

Thanks for sharing that info, @miker. Have you formed an impression of Misty I that could be described by using human characteristics? And if so, on what behaviors and/or physical characteristics might these be based on?

Please feel free to ignore either or both of these questions. I’m trying to help Misty II developers figure out ways to help Misty II generate a positive initial impression and maintain that impression over time.

Thanks for your feedback! I understand the frustrations here and we are working hard to make sure breaking changes to sample skills don’t occur often and never without warning/communication.

Great thoughts! What kind of skills would you have liked to see pre loaded on your Misty 1? @BoulderAl @miker

OK, my long-winded answer to this question…

How can Misty II achieve a positive initial impression for customers and maintain that over time?

For me, instead of describing Misty using human characteristics, a more accurate model base would be a pet and behaviors and characteristics therein.

Why do people grow disinterested in possessions and discard them while they acquire pets in which they invest large amounts of time over the life of the pet? I contend that a major differentiator is the interest the pet takes in the owner. How many times have you witnessed the scene where the owner arrives home and the pet absolutely goes crazy? The pet barks and dances about with great enthusiasm.

So, how can I get Misty to show interest in me and my family? An example: our home security system makes an announcement whenever the car entry door to our garage opens up. If I can get Misty to recognize that announcement and act to move to the human entry door from the garage into the house and be there when we enter the house that would show interest in me and my family. Adding a random greeting when the entry door opened would be icing on the cake.

Other behaviors that would impress us both initially and over time:

• At times Misty should be an inquisitve explorer. As Misty explores it should frequently generate random audio clues as to its whereabouts and current state. These clues need to be nonintrusive so that they can be a part of the normal background audio environment but distinct enough that they can be focused on as needed.

• At other times Misty should randomly select a member of the family and follow them about for some random period of time. Misty might even make a comment or two about the weather or upcoming sporting events as it follows along.

• At night Misty should become largely quiescent but still monitor audio. If Misty hears an audio cue that is above a certain threshold it could investigate.

• When especially loud sounds occur, say thunder or a neighborhood kid revving their engine, Misty could make random exclamations.

• At infrequent but random times, Misty would simulate stalking an imaginary item. Can anyone say cat?

One key aspect to these behaviors is the idea of random. By random I don’t mean random in the normal sense but more in the serendipitous sense where when it occurs the customer thinks “Wow, how great is that!” or “How cute is that.”

Audio should play a major role here. For example, the base model of Misty would make it easy for the customer to choose alternative pre-packaged audio sounds and attach them to hooks placed throughout Misty’s behaviors. For an additional fee, an audio recorder, editor and uploader would allow the user to create custom audio clips to be attached to the behavior hooks. Occasionally Misty Robotics might release additional audio packs of their own.

That is my take on how to make Misty II impressive from beginning to forever.

Thank you for the thoughtful and inspiring feedback, @miker!

@Jeremy and @Jane – pointing this out for you to see, too!

Thanks so much for your very thoughtful response, @miker. I think you’ve made a number of really good suggestions.

One question - would there have to be an additional fee for custom audio clips? Would it be possible for developers to create a library of these clips available to everyone?

Lots of wonderful stuff here @miker!

I’d add one small modification/addition to Misty being an inquisitive explorer, @Miker - when Misty is exploring and there are people around she could also orient spatially and visually to a person in the room in addition to generating audio cues. Misty could then re-orient and continue her exploration.