Robot Not a Dev? Pre-order Now
Not a Dev?

Misty Community Forum

Can I post in HTML ... w/ or w/o CSS

I wrote this post to accumulate some useful information about how Discourse treats HTML. These are the answers found or contributed so far:

This code: <p style="font-size:23pt">Paragraph text</p>

Produced:

Paragraph text

Discourse honored the tag, but it Ignored the style attribute. So far has ignored every attempt I've made to us it with any HTML tag.

This code: The<br>break<br>tag<br>works

Produced
The
break
tag
works

<b>The bold tag works.</b> = The bold tag seems to work.

<i>The italic tag works.</i> = The italic tag works

HTML Tables work

This code:
<ol>
<li>item 1</li>
<li>item 2</li>
<li>item 3</li>
</ol>

Produces

1. item 1
  2. item 2
  3. item 3

There seems no way to change font color.

Still looking for font size adjustments.

This link provided by @slivingston was a big help with Discourse and Markdown.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-new-user-guide/96331

The difference between a “back tick” and a single quote that look alike tripped me up for awhile. Dumb to miss that distinction. But at least for me, easy to do.

But only the back tick allows you to type HTML code as text, i.e. keep discourse from interpreting the tag in stead of just rendering it’s contents.

@piikoicoder - markdown is the markup language used in these forums. HTML will not.

Also, have you completed the “tour” of features of the forum that is presented by @mistybot?

There should still be some prompts up in the top right corner. You’ll even get the “Certified” Badge after completing it. It might help you learn your way around the forums.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @mistybot display help.

Hi Misty,

I appreciate your attempt to help … Unfortunately I am a human … even worse, many of us will be a human beginners.

None the less. Even though I felt silly, I said
@mistybot display help”.
aloud.

Good thing I was at home alone, because … well … nothing happened.

Therefore, if you asked me … and of course you didn’t … I’d say you need to work a lot more on how to communicate with us humans … in a non-talking forum.

I mean for now, you still need us … like to lift you off the table when you want to wander around.

Oh … for what it’s worth, it might have been nice if your reference to @mistybot linked somewhere … that had something that offered help.

The future awaits … see you there I hope.

I currently know how to do the following things:

@mistybot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

@mistybot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@mistybot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@mistybot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

Hi Ben,

I appreciate the attempt to help … I’m off to look up markdown. Must be somewhere. And although it isn’t up to me, if it was, I would have made a link to a full explanation of Markdown prominently on the page that opens when a human starts to post a comment.

And well … awkward … but … shame on you. There really is no room for the conditional in the language of robots. Most specifically your comment that “There should still be some prompts up in the top right corner.” along with all other conditionals like should, could, ought to.

At least we beginners need the “is” word. And especially since I looked around and it wasn’t still still there. the first time I clicked the link in you email I ended up in the Main Menu Engage/Community page … with which I’m still sifting through.

Funny thing is when I clicked on the same link rendered in the forum I ended up temporarily in a totally different page … that then shifted on its own to a really cool “Welcome” page with lots of pictures and suggestion that I again sign up … when I was already logged in to the account I already signed up for.

More importantly I could not easily find … or even with some effort … find anything that suggested it was something I could “complete”.

As an aside … I’m still searching for the equivalent a MyAccount page where I can see what I am. I mean I’m still working on being a “Member” so I can move my JS and JSON text from the post to attachments.

But that’s for another day. And it really is too easy to get so lost among the trees you can’t find the forest.

So for today … it is exclusively mastery of Markdown.

Thanks again,

The future awaits. And heaven knows what waits for us there.

1 Like