Robot Not a Dev? Buy Now
Not a Dev?

Misty Community Forum

By my remote presence in the office or home

From Founder, Ian Bernstein: the robot could be programmed to be my remote physical avatar so that I can roam around the office or the home and speak with people through the robot, with my face showing up on the robot’s face and my voice through its speakers – and the other person’s voice/face through the microphone and camera. I could either remotely control the robot to drive it around or I could ask the robot to “find [so-and-so]” and let me know when they’ve found them.

3 Likes

needs to be 24"-36" tall

1 Like

like this? :wink: :blush: :stuck_out_tongue:
MisTy

1 Like

I was just discussing this with @faengelm but I think a backpack or trailer that had a telescoping tablet holder could also accomplish this well. Add your own tablet and the cost of such an accessory comes down a lot. Added bonus - it doesn’t render Misty a zombie where here face is taken over by a video feed.

We also had talked, internally, about the drone follower sidekick - to see lots of tall places!

1 Like

In reviewing the recent Misty II tear down videos I started wondering whether it was possible to separate the body from the base and add in an extender so that Misty’s face is closer to a sitting person viewport. The videos of people sitting on a chair talking to Misty looks uncomfortable

I understand that there is a concern with center of gravity on a taller robot but maybe a larger battery could help. Maybe a 3D printed base riser to hold it

Can you detail what connections are running between the body and base? Looks like it might only be power and motor controls

Frank

I was also thinking of having a screen that is hidden and slides up
on a extended up for multiple purposes:
1. The telepresence - adjustable height
2. Serving a beverage/food tray
3. A hand/gripper that could hand a beverage to my height.

But I wanted to also have the wheels/tracks separated so I can ‘snap-in’
and secure different movement methods. I am starting on a Wall-E/Johnny-5 type track, then 4 legged dog base. (The legged dog base gives more personality options). The Wall-E track would be wider, higher, more stable and could be a base to add more structurally supported arms or other appendages.

I think this is much closer to what we would have in mind for those that want to use Misty for telepresence. A telescoping pole with a tablet on it would be at a comfortable height for such interactions and not “zombify” Misty by replacing her face with a teleconference screen. Much easier to do too with a backback or (more likely) with a trailer that is pulled behind.

Hi Ben,
I wasn’t thinking of replacing Misty’s face, but wanted to stretch out her body to be a bit taller.

Although I’m thinking your iPad on a monpod is a great idea for doing telepresence meetings, it still would be nice to have Misty’s face up closer to someone sitting on a chair for the rest of her interactions; e.g. facial expressions, voice recognition, speach

Do you have a teardown video or photos on separating the base form the body?

Are there just a few wires running between there?

Frank

Hi markwdalton,
If you are considering modifying Misty to support an exchangeable base, I’d like to follow along with your progress

Frank

Yes, I will post that once I get that scaled correctly and built. I will likely for now leave
the Misty Beta as is, just disconnect the wheel motors and attach it to the wheel/track/Leg
platform which would have its own battery/motor controllers. That is where I would start
on this part of the project. Unfortunately my example will likely not be as ‘pretty’ but that
is where Misty or others can improve on the idea.

I am keen on doing three things:

1. Add an extremely light weight 6DOF articulated arm (or two)
  2. Increase height by say 2 ft ?
  3. Change to a larger base to add stability when the arm is at full extension…

I have not received the Misty-1 yet…so I will start after I get it…

1 Like

I am using ‘OpenBeam’ (OpenBeam :: Page 1 of 2 :: Solarbotics) to build
the larger frame with more support. So I can attach to multiple locomotion systems.
Also I wanted to raise the ‘head’ (Misty) or at a minimum the camera and the arms higher.
- Camera needs to be at at least 52-54 inches - to see over a counter
- Arms (shoulder) needs to be at least 46 inches (for general purpose arms).

So the part attached to Misty is the size of outside the base/wheels (since I am trying
to do the least amount of ‘damage’ to the current design). This is to attach to Misty
then attach to the various frames.
My current larger (wheel or leg base is 23" x 13") and the legs are:
12 inches for the upper leg (femur) and 12 inches for the lower leg.
(but their is overlap for the joints, and the wheel will add some as well as
the frame). So it should be close to two feet. But I wanted to eventually
do something like a lift for the head (Misty) and Arms
so it can see/work on a counter top. (but that is a next phase for me)
since this is more of a ‘add on’ hack.

1. Larger wheels/wheel base for more clearance for outside and carpet.
      - with misty 0.6/0.9
      - Driving has done very well on carpets of various thicknesses
      -  I do not get reliable turning on a wood floor, the back
        wheels will slide if you go to fast and the front/drive wheels slide also so
        more traction is needed for slippery floors.
2. Leg/wheel combination (yeah I think I have seen this done before, and I think there
     are plenty of problems with it).
     - For outdoors/sentry I would need 3-4 inches at least.   But the Leg/wheel combination
       is what I was thinking.  Legs fold down to a sitting on each other for lower center of gravity
       and wheels for feet.   The main advantage for legs then is for:
            * raising and lowering
            * Adjusting to terrain
            * Steps - the wheels need to be in near locking (versus require much power).

NOTE: These do add other issues of sensors and ‘knowing one-self’.
- Think of the concerns of edge detection with feet, they need to know when
to take that step and shift wait and how far to lower, or if they should turn back.
(down a step or down a cliff) And on the Misty it would be more do not go over
a edge and it would have the camera. (sensors may need to be moved, adjusted
or I would suggest new ones added).

Each frame should have a API and ID number, so Misty (the head) would know the body.
- similar to having whiskers to know if they can fit down a area or if it is too tight.
- Simple and more complex version of each API.
Simple API - My: ID, dimensions, sensors, and Misty would have a pointer
to my ‘skills’ enabled. (raise camera, stairs)
- And the simple movement type:
(legs, type of movement, direction [0-360], speed, duration)
Advanced API - more direct control for development or fine controls or let a NN learn
to control it would be interesting also.

1 Like

Does the backpack attachment hold firmly enough to support this type of extended arm (like a tablet support)?

Thanks…exactly where I am headed…

I haven’t seen the Misty 1.0 yet, but my plan is to:

Replace the tubular torso with a linear actuator with optical encoder that should bring up the head to 54-56".

Replace base with a larger base like 19 x 21 with 2 active wheels and one dummy steering/stabilizing wheel.

So far may be the easy part…the hard part comes afterwards…height and arm extension may topple the Misty…so have a heavier battery or other “ballast” in base, may be ?

For some inspiration : http://tiago.pal-robotics.com/

I would be keen to know more about your new base…if you like, we can collaborate…my email is krishnajee.putcha@thermorobotics.com

1 Like

I sent you a note and always happy to collaborate.

I would keep the Misty as one piece. Either raise the entire thing or for
telepresence the face I did not want to use for video, and preferred
a separate telescoping LCD and camera (perhaps plan to allow for
modification so they can turn/follow perhaps camera independently of LCD).

The arm length and weight carried does require extra support. And the battery
would be extra for the different locomotion and for the larger arm.

Feel free to email at: markwdalton@gmail.com

Mark

The connections running through the torso maybe at the least (From the Controller):

• Drive motors
  • TOF sensors
  • Bump sensors :

I don’t think you’d want to rely solely on the magnetic connectors for something like this but it should be pretty straightforward to create new ways to attach it once we release the CAD files for Misty II.