Robot Not a Dev? Buy Now
Not a Dev?

Misty Community Forum

Arduino and Misty II

Is there any particular Arduino board that works best for Misty II, or will any work?

Also, is there any quick walk-through available for connecting an Arduino to Misty?

1 Like

Hi @michaelrod!

Obviously we recommend using the Arduino board we designed specifically for Misty, but you can use any board you like! There are some power and signaling related things to keep in mind:

1. The USB power coming from Misty is not all powerful. (@cp_sridhar Can you remind me what the max power draw we allow on the USB port is?) We recommend having a separate power source for any board that requires >= 5V. (Check out this battery arm holder to hold a battery pack)
  2. You need to make sure the signal voltage is 3.3V. If you’re using something like an Arduino Uno, the signal voltage is 5V and needs to be converted to 3.3V. Here are 2 boards that we use when converting between a 5v signal to the required 3.3V on Misty:
  3. Make sure to set the baud rate to 9600!

Here is some documentation on Getting Started with Arduino that should prove to be useful!

TL;DR: You can use any board that has a serial connection to communicate with Misty, but 1) Make sure it signals at 3.3V and if it requires >5V have a separate power source.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Chris! I have both Arduino options available (backpack + a separate Arduino Uno), so I’ll stick with the Arduino already incorporated in the backpack for now. Up until your post, I had no idea about the 3.3V signal voltage requirement and I’m glad the backpack Arduino board is already setup for that. :slight_smile:

1 Like