Robot Not a Dev? Pre-order Now
Not a Dev?

5 Questions about robots

skills
robots

Hi, All. I’ve a few questions for a skill I’m developing. It would be great to hear from the community! I may have a few follow-up questions too.

1. What do you think about the future of robotics?
  2. What would make robots easy to use?
  3. Tell me about a time you were really impressed with a robot.
  4. How do people use robots at home?
  5. How should a robot find and retrieve an item for you?

1. Well, I may be biased but I think the future of robots looks pretty bright. I tend to use robot and AI fairly interchangeably and if you can look past the opportunity for a pretty bleak future, I think the potential benefits are huge. I think they’ll take some jobs, we’ll make more, and eventually they will take those. And that will be fine. We didn’t like working anyway. We will find other ways to pass our time. We’ll have to deal with the end of scarcity, but that seems like a good problem to have.

2. We need to be able to communicate with robots verbally and have them respond in kind. They should recognize context and have an eye for nuance that is human communication.

3. I am struggling with this one. Maybe I am hard to impress. I can certainly be dazzled by single purpose robots that can complete remarkable feats but I am still waiting for these to be packaged up into a more complex, multi-purpose machine.

4. Really they just ask for the weather or for a recipe or have them vacuum up after them

5. I can’t imagine it will be much different from how humans find and retrieve things, despite the advantages a robot may have in locating some times of objects (other electronics that emit signals). I think we will still try to build robots in our image for better and for worse.

Thanks, Ben! If you don’t mind I’ve a few more questions…

1. Do you own a robot, if so do you own more than one?
  2. How does/do your robot(s) get around the house?
  3. Has your robot ever got lost or stuck?
  4. How do you tell it where to go?
  5. What would you do to make a better robot?

1. I own lots of robots. Misty I, Anki Cosmo, Meccano Max, Sphero BB-8, Roomba, Amazon Alexa, Ulo, a Vincross Hexa even made its way onto my desk in the office.

2. Roomba does its own thing on a schedule (when its batteries aren’t dead), Alexa just sits there listening to my every word, Ulo keeps a look out on my desk, Cosmo and Max need direct connections to my phone to function. Misty I does as well but the promise of Misty II is greater autonomy.

3. Roomba—being the only current robot I have that has “autonomy” has been stuck on occasion on cords or something.

4. I pick it up and restart it

5. You know I work at Misty, right? We’re helping to solve these problems by incorporating a much better sensor array, pathfinding, and cameras.

Hehe, of course I know you work at Misty, Ben. I want to know what you think as I know sometimes things are omitted in the process. Just maybe I’m trying to get you to give me a sneak-peak of things to come. :slight_smile:

• What do you think about the future of robotics?
    Lots of new opportunities in the future for both businesses and individuals.
  • What would make robots easy to use?
    A common and easy to use software development platform for all robots.
  • Tell me about a time you were really impressed with a robot.
    I have been lucky in 2018! I was in the pilot seat of the 4 meter tall humanoid robot project, Method-3 and J-deite RIDE (transforming car / robot)
  • How do people use robots at home?
    Now, very little use in the home but their are a lot of people working on this lack of use.
  • How should a robot find and retrieve an item for you?
  1. Understand your request
  2. Locate your item
  3. move to, then pickup the item
  4. transport the item to you
  5. Finally, hand the item to you